Detoxification is the process of cleansing the body of harmful toxin build-up. Detox diets come in different types and forms but all have one purpose-to cleanse the body. One program will require you to eat only fresh fruits and semi-cooked vegetables during the period; or just clean and healthy foods like ‘everything organic’. Another one will allow you to drink only juices or smoothies made from fresh fruits and vegetables; while an extreme detox type will let you have only water, hot or cold.
If you’re a regular detox diet user, you may formulate your own program that will stimulate cleansing in particular areas of your body: liver, kidneys, lungs or blood. You just have to make sure that you’ll be having regular or frequent bowel movement during detox period. It is also strictly required to consume a lot of liquid. Drink at least eight glasses a day and eat more fruits that contain juice like oranges and watermelons. These will help you endure the stress of side effects like headache and, yes, frequent visits to the bathroom.
During detox, you are also losing fats and other unneeded extra baggage which added to excess body weight. This is a very nice one for a side effect. Actually, you can shed off as much as twenty pounds within a ten-day detox program. This will depend on your tenacity to stick with the stringent form of the diet, of course.
Here’s an example of a daily detoxification menu for 7 days:
Right after you woke up:
- Drink a glass of warm water mixed with freshly-squeezed lemon juice; or
- Drink a glass of water mixed with bentonite clay and ground flax (1 tablespoon each)
- A glass of smoothie made from: pear, rice protein powder, and rice milk
- A supplement for Vitamin C
- A glass of diluted apple juice (may be mixed with milk thistle)
- A bowl of vegetable broth
- Celery and humus
- Vegetable soup with chunks and bits of cooked vegetables
- Steamed broccoli, beets, and sesame seeds-drizzled with apple sauce
- Multivitamins supplement
- Tea from dandelion root (blend in some milk thistle)
- Carrot sticks dipped in hummus
- Vegetable broth
- Lentils on quinoa (curried or stir-fried)
- Crisp salad mix of greens: lettuce, artichokes, sprouts, and red peppers (dressed with garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil)
Before going to bed:
- Drink a glass of water with bentonite clay and ground flaxseeds once again
You may suffer from several side effects; so before using this diet menu you must consult your doctor.